Skip to main content

Touched with fire



Our office manager is playing the lead role in a local production by the Sterling Playmakers' of "Thoroughy Modern Millie," a Tony-award winning musical comedy that was on Broadway in the early 2000s. I went to see it on Sunday with a client and saw several others there, a testament to our office manager's loyal following, which I attribute to her ability to relate to our unique population of clients. You can take that wherever you want. I see no need to complete the thought and connect the dots, but, in the best ways, they broke the mold when they made her. The cast and crew of the play did a wonderful job and this morning I was talking to our office manager, who did an exceptional job playing Millie, about the behind-the-scenes romances, conflict and otherwise general insanity related to the cast and crew. As I told her, "there is a reason they call it drama." Anyway, the entire conversation made me think of the link between mental illness and creativity, which was only reinforced by two recent clients (one dramatic, intelligent and analytical, and the other analytical, subtle and convincingly self-deceptive) who creatively tried to avoid serious discussion, a tool that is effectively in manipulating me away from the topic at hand, at least for 45 minutes of the 50-minute session, when I decided to bring the point that I have not been lead astray home by throwing them back in the pond that we had originally started in. The aside of this post is that everything about today had me thinking about the link between mental illness and creativity, and the debates about whether allowing mental illness to flourish is a requirement and a sacrifice that the most brilliantly creative must have to make. It's a debate that cannot truly be answered here, but I do think that in so many ways, being outside the box assists artists of all stripes. A good resource on the topic is Kay Redfield Jamison's Touched With Fire, an evidence-based look at manic depression and creativity.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truthfully Maddening Dilemna of John Nash's Story

John Forbes Nash Jr. was a brilliant mathematician and a suffer of something, depending on whom you ask, in the neighborhood of schizophrenia and manic depression. Nash, who died in a car accident with his wife a little more than a week ago, was, first and foremost, a Nobel laureate, whom, like many mathematicians, made his greatest discoveries in his 20s (As G.H. Hardy wrote in 1940, of “all the arts and sciences mathematics is the most remote” and “no mathematician should ever allow himself to forget that mathematics, more than an other art or science, is a young man’s game”). Knowing that history and those peculiarities of mathematics and mathematicians, strange behaviors –extended solitude, writing equations on walls, a frenetic pace to develop solutions, mumbling to themselves in public – probably did not seem so far outside the norm among his brethren at Princeton University. But, according to a 2010 edition of The Princetonian , the daily newspaper at Princeto...

The Gift of Fear (or the Gift of Intution in Protecting Yourself and Lie Detecting)

A friend was recently on the phone with me walking down a New York street and she noticed a man starring at a street pole, and it didn't make her comfortable. Now, as the boys at Matchbox Twenty would put it, this is from a woman who makes friends with shadows on her wall, hears voices telling her that she should get some sleep, takes to herself in public and dodges glances on the train. What, on Earth, could bug this woman out? After first she dismissed her reaction. Could it be because the man was black and she racial stereotyping was making it worse? No. She lives in New York, and sees blacks all of all ethical and moral stripes and sizes every day. Could it be the neighborhood? Nah. It was familiar too her. Maybe something was different about the street lights? That could be it. Eventually, I said, "Who cares, why? If it doesn't feel right, just move, move." Gavin de Becker, a personal security professional, received acclaim for his book "The Gift of Fear...

Down the Road from McLean

My fascination with the sprawling 240 acre campus of McLean Hospital , in Belmont, Mass., and what was done there, began in 2003, the year I lost my job at The New York Times and days later found myself 270 miles south, at Silver Hill Hospital , in New Canaan, Conn., a premiere hospital that rivals, and in some estimations, is stronger than McLean . There, I was treated to my first experience in an acute, inpatient locked ward where I was evaluated for the first time by a psychiatrist and quickly diagnosed with a mood d isorder that later turned out to be bipolar disorder. Over more recent years, especially when I struggle to maintain my stability, I think back to that place and wish, for a minute, that I could come up with some reason to return to its 60 acres, complete with a social worker who spends the day checking in on you, the constant psychiatric care, the intense medication management, the priest who comes, if you so choose, to pray with you and the buildings full of fellow ...